TIR believes the key to achieving long-term success in the timberland investment sector is identifying and capitalizing on market and operating inefficiencies that produce exploitable supply, demand and pricing dislocations.
TIR embraces a value-orientation to timberland investment. We focus primarily on:
- Making and managing acquisitions in the middle-market segment, which includes transactions in the $10 million to $75 million range.
- Investing in segments of the market where there is less competition, where per-acre pricing tends to be lower and where TIR is able to identify market and operating inefficiencies by engaging in fuller and more comprehensive due diligence.
- Operating each asset in a portfolio context but as a standalone business – the emphasis being to optimize near-term cash flow and to increase long-term capital appreciation by using enhanced, stand-level silvicultural practices
- Selling assets, in whole or in part, on an opportunistic basis in response to clients’ holding term and performance expectations – the goal always being to obtain premium pricing for core timberland assets and for lands that may be more suitable for alternative uses, including conservation, recreation or development.
- Practicing Alpha-Driven Forestry™, which entails consistently focusing on generating biological and financial alpha for our clients.